The Freebird Club: travel freedom + social fun in +50s homestays
There’s a silent but alarming epidemic of loneliness and social isolation across the rich world across all ages. The World Health Organization now lists lack of social support networks as one of the risk factors for early death – as lethal as smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
In the longer-lasting Big Middle of life, social networks can easily become frayed or collapse altogether. Dubliner Peter Mangan noticed this was happening with his father. So he decided to do something to liven up his Dad’s life. He founded The Freebird Club, a global homestay community for over50s that’s as much about socialising as it is travelling.
- All about The Freebird Club, Peter Mangan’s brilliant idea that now boasts members in more than 70 countries
- I’d have loved to play Lynyrd Skynyrd’s tune Free Bird in the intro but, you bet, copyright restrictions. Here’s where it lives on YouTube
- The Freebird Club website
- European Investment Bank article on the club: “An App for Aging Travellers?”
- The Freebird Club wins two UN World Tourism Organisation startup awards
- The Freebird Club on Twitter
- Video: Freebird Club 2019