Graham Phillips: "Look after your gut bugs and they'll look after you"
How to survive COVID by taking care of your gut.
Graham Phillips is back on The Big Middle in his coveted new role as resident Metabolic Science Brainbox. His knowledge runs deep and he’s also a seriously nice guy. Isn’t it fabulous he’s coming on as a regular now, two months after his first outing as a guest? Listen to episode 64 to catch his debut.
This pandemic has shown that lifestyle diseases that set us up for the worst COVID outcomes are within our power to avoid. If we know how.
Prepare to learn all you need know about strengthening your immune system to survive an encounter with The Virus.
Here’s a sampler from our conversation:
“80% of your immune system is in your gut”
“Your microbiome is your second brain”
“95% of your supply of serotonin -your happy hormone- is in your gut, not your brain”
“The state of your microbiome is your destiny, not your genes”
“We have 100 trillion bugs in our gut but only a few more genes than a banana”
“Just two nights of bad sleep will cut the efficacy of the winter flu shot by half”
“Before you get your COVID jab, make sure you get a couple of nights of good sleep”
“Look after your gut bugs and they’ll look after you”
You’ll also hear more about the lifestyle changes I made to all but win my battle with autoimmune attacks Rheumatoid Arthritis and Thyroiditis that struck at menopause. The heavy drugs I took for the RA certainly did a number on my immune system.
Next week with Graham, surviving COVID by optimising your metabolic health.
Enjoy and go well…
- Graham’s website
- Graham’s coaching videos – Beating Coronavirus, Live Healthier for Longer, Avoid a Health Crash, Veganism, Type 2 Diabetes, Sleep + Stress
- TwinsUK – Kings College London Prof Tim Spector’s landmark nutritional PREDICT study on twins
- Graham’s blog: What is ultra-processed food?
- His article The Personal Touch in Pharmacy Magazine – Oct 2019
- Graham on Twitter
Support The Big Middle
Follow The Big Middle
- Website I Twitter I Facebook I Instagram
- Hosted + produced by Susan Flory
- Website with help from designer Emanuel Draghetti
- Music: “Beautiful Day” by Sahin Koc